The heavy missile, which neighbors said had hurled through the air like a
“shell from a cannon.”
Oakland Tribune October 28, 1931
A 40-pound rock, blasted from the hills above Millsmont, was hurled half a mile and crashed through the roof and dining room ceiling at the home of Fred Bailey, 4017 Altamont Avenue.
The rock was blasted from the nearby Heafey-Moore quarry.
“There is little doubt the rock came from the quarry, where men were blasting.”
A “strange-urge” told Mrs. Bailey to leave their home, and she did go. She left the house at 4:30 with her daughter and went downtown.
“every time I went into the dining room, something told me I shouldn’t be there.” Mrs. Bailey said
Oakland Tribune October 28, 1931
They returned home to find it in shambles. There was an eight-foot hole in the ceiling of the dining room. The rock landed on the couch/bed that their daughter used.
On March 18, 1919, Mrs.George D. Greenwood was killed instantly when a bomb exploded in the family home garden overlooking Lake Merritt. Her husband was the Vice-President of the Savings Union Bank of San Francisco.
Killed Instantly
It is believed that Mrs. Greenwood found the bomb and picked it up, causing it to explode.
Mrs. Greenwood’s body was torn apart and hurled ten-feet across the garden by the force of the explosion. Her clothing was stripped from her body and hung from the trees or was scattered on the lawn.
All windows on two sides of the Greenwood home were shattered.
Threats Sent to Other Families
The Greenwood family wasn’t the only Eastbay family to have received letters threatening death unless specific amounts of money were handed over.
Other families included:
Kenneth E. Lowden – 274 19th Street
Mrs. E.A. Julian – Piedmont
According to the police, a letter demanding $5,000 and threatening to destroy his home with dynamite was sent to Greenwood in January of 1918. The “C.C. of C” signed the letter, which stands for the Cat’s Claw of California.
Oakland Tribune March 21, 1919
The Greenwood explosion was the third in a series attributed to a gang supposed to have dynamited Governor William D. Stephens home and one other.
An unexploded bomb was found in the yard of N. Campagna of Berkeley the week before.
Society Leader
SF Examiner June 12, 1893
Mrs. George D. Greenwood was considered “society royal” in Oakland and San Francisco, where her parents and husbands were pioneers.
Tubbs Hotel
She was one of the Tubbs girls, the daughters of the late Hiram Tubbs, early capitalist, and owner of the famous old Tubbs Hotel.
Oakland Tribune 1891
The daughters were Mrs. Greenwood, formerly Miss May Tubbs, Mrs. William G. Henshaw, Mrs. Grace Tubbs Henshaw, and Mrs. Edward M. Hall.
No Results
Oakland Tribune March 1919
Police investigations, which continued for more than a year after the tragedy, resulted in the clearing of the mystery surrounding the bomb.
Hanford Kings County Sentinel May 08, 1919
The police arrested many suspects, none were charged.
New Wife
Oakland Tribune Sept 1922
Mr. Greenwood married Gertrude Vincent in late 1922.
Greenwood Home
The Greenwood home was located at the corner of 19th Street and Jackson at 1399 Jackson Street (later changed to 1899 Jackson). The Greenwoods lived there from about 1896 to 1920.
The Greenwood Home at the corner of Jackson and 19th Streets. Photo by Frank Rodolph
Oakland Tribune May 12, 1936
In 1936 the house was remodeled and became the new home of the Oakland University Club.
“We are building this clubhouse beyond our immediate requirement but with an eye to the future”
Mrs. E.T. Jepson Nov 08, 1925
A New Clubhouse
Press release
“A very handsome $10,000 structure is planned for the Montclair Clubhouse. It will be 109 by 40 feet and will contain a large auditorium, stage, dressing room, dining room, kitchen, check room, restroom, and basement space, which will be utilized as billiard room.”
Oakland Tribune
Construction Started
The groundbreaking celebration was held in March of 1925 at the junction of Thorn Road (now Thornhill Drive) and Mountain Blvd.
Members of the Montclair Improvement Club inNovember of 1925 began constructing the new Clubhouse.
New Clubhouse Opens
In March of 1926, the Montclair Improvement Club held the $ 20,000 Montclair Community Clubhouse formal dedication.
The one-story structure is of Spanish architecture. Features include an auditorium with stage and fireplace, dining and reception rooms, and an electrically equipped kitchen.
Montclarion
John Perona donated his services as a builder. Club members’ labor contributions reduced the cost of construction.
They also planned to have tennis and handball courts, a playground for children, and a golf course.
In March 1926, the Montclair Improvement Club held its first dance at the new Clubhouse.
A Bit of History
The beginnings of the Montclair Improvement Club can be traced back to as early as 1923.
Oakland Tribune March 1923
After a few years, it became the Montclair Bussiness Assoc.
Montclarion
Membership comprised residents of Montclair, Merriewood, and Forest Park.
Copy of Newsletter
The Women’s Auxiliary to the Montclair Improvement Club was also formed in 1923. The name was changed to Montclair Women’s Club in 1925 when it became affiliated with the California Federation of Women’s Clubs
Montclair Women’s Clubhouse
In May 1928, the women’s club purchased the Clubhouse from Montclair Improvement Club.
Oakland Tribune 1928
They held their first dance in August of 1928.
Clubhouse Damaged in Fire
In November of 1928, a fire damaged the interior of the Clubhouse.
Oakland Tribune November 10, 1928
Clubhouse is Sold
The Montclair Women’s Club was sold in 1996. From 1996 until 2015, it was an events center called the Montclair Women’s Cultural Arts Club.
The nation’s first federally assisted rehabilitation project.
Oakland Tribune
Federal Housing Act of 1954
In 1955 a 125 block area bounded by E. 21st Street, 14th Avenue, E. 12th Street, and Lake Merritt was chosen as the “study area” for urban renewal.
Clinton Park urban renewal plan (project no. Calif. R-2), City of Oakland, California -November 1957-HathiTrust
In October of 1955, Oakland applied to the Federal Government to formally designate an 80 block area of East Oakland bordering Lake Merritt as its first urban renewal project.
First in the West
The area was Oakland’s first concentrated action against blight and substandard housing.
Clinton Park was a conservation project, the first of this type in the Western United States.
When the project began in July 1958, the area covered 282 acres contained approximately 1,358 structures and 4,750 dwelling units. Clinton Park Project is bounded by Lake Merritt, 14th Avenue, East 21st. and East 14th Streets
The field office for the project was located at 1626 6th Avenue. The field office, an example of urban renewal in action –was a 50-year old house that was located at 1535 10th Avenue.
Oakland Gets U.S. Grant
In December of 1955, the Federal Government earmarked $1 210,000 for Oakland’s Clinton Park Urban Renewal Program. This amount was two-thirds of the anticipated total cost.
New School – Recreation Center
“heart of the Clinton Park urban renewal area.”
The new Franklin School served as an educational and recreational facility and the nucleus of the project. The revised plans for the site called for the additional area and a recreation center to be added. The school replaced the old school building condemned as an earthquake hazard.
Oakland acquired property to double the playgrounds of Franklin School.
The new school opened in September of 1956.
Oakland Tribune September 1956
Franklin School Today – 2020 by Littledots
Due to many problems in acquiring property for the expanded facility, the Recreation Center and Playground area’s completion was delayed until the summer of l 961.
Oakland Tribune October 1960
1010 East 15th – today
Our City Oakland
In 1956 the Oakland Junior Chamber Committee of the Chamber of Commerce produced a movie on Oakland’s urban renewal program. The movie, entitled ” Our City Oakland.”
Our City Oakland – American City Dedicated to Oakland Urban Renewal program for the elevation of human and property values of its neighborhoods .
The film (in color with sound)shows examples of Oakland’s slum dwellings, and census figures at the time showed Oakland more than 15,000 such structures (Wow!)
The film also tells of the work in Clinton Park.
Project Launched
In July of 1957, a wrecking crew started the demolition of eight houses near the new Franklin School. This would be the location of the new recreation center.
Oakland Tribune July 1957
Oakland Tribune June 30, 1957
Older Home Gets New Life
In 1956, the Greater Eastbay Associated Homebuilders purchased a 50-year-old home at 1535 10th Avenue.
Oakland Tribune April 1956
Oakland Tribune April 1956
Home and Garden Show
The house was moved from its lot to become an exhibit at the Home and Garden Show.
Oakland Tribune April 1956
It was completely remodeled as a part of Oakland’s Operation Home Improvement Campaign.
Oakland Tribune April 1956
Following the show, the home was moved to and used as the Clinton Park Project field office.
The office was located at 1621 6th Avenue.
Oakland Tribune 1963
Looks like the house was moved sometime in the mid 1960s. A church is there now.
A Rehab Project
The homes at 624 and 630 Foothill Blvd
Many New Apartment Buildings
From 1956 to 1962, 57 new apartment buildings were constructed. By 1960 $4,000,000 had been spent on new apartment construction.
First Project
The ground was broken in May of 1956 for the first significant construction project for Clinton Park.
Robert A. Vandenbosch designed the 32-unit apartment building at 1844 7th Avenue and East 19th Street.
The three-story structure was built around an inner court that has balconies overlooking the court from every apartment.
Now called Casa Simone –
New Apartment Project
Looking from East 18th towards 12th Avenue Photo by Cheney Photo Advertising 1919
A new 12-unit apartment building replaced a “dilapidated” single-family dwelling at 12th Avenue and East 18th Street.
Oakland Tribune
The old structure was located at 1755 12th Avenue, was built in 1900. It had been converted illegally to an eight-unit apartment.
The structure costs $75.000 to build.
1133 East 18th Street
Garden Type Apartment
In 1958 a new $400,000 apartment was built at 1125 East 18th Street.
Oakland Tribune 1958
Two old homes and their outbuildings were razed to make room for the 40-unit two-story building with parking for the 24 cars on the ground floor.
1125 East 18th – Google Maps
An eight-unit apartment building at 645 Foothill Blvd was under construction at the same time.
Clinton Park Manor
Clinton Park Manor, a 144-unit complex, was built in 1958 at the cost of $1,400,000.
24 efficiency units
50 one-bedroom units
46 two-bedroom units
24 three-bedroom units
Architect Cecil S. Moyer designed the four three-story structures with a landscaped courtyard in the middle.
It is now called Oakbrook Manor – 1229 East 19th Street
The complex is bounded by 12th and 13th Avenues and East 19th and East 20th Streets.
Google Maps
One of Oakland’s first schools, Brooklyn Grammar School, was built on the site in 1863. It was renamed Swett School in 1874, and in 1882 a new school Bella Vista was built there. Bella Vista School was razed in 1951.
The Valhalla Apartments
In March of 1960, a three-story 48-unit apartment building was built on the northeast corner of 12th Avenue and East 17th Street at the cost of $556,000.
Architect Cecil Moyer also designed this building. The new building contained (it might still have the same layout):
3- bachelor apartments
24- one-bedroom apartments
11- two-bedroom apartments
10- three-bedroom apartments
The courtyard had a swimming pool.
1720 12th Ave –Google Maps
Six old homes, some dating back to the 1890s, were demolished to clear the site.
Today it is call Cambridge Terrace Apartments
Apartments
A partial list of the new apartment buildings
2225-7th Avenue – 1957
1618-6th Avenue – 1957
1640 -6th Avenue -1957
602 Foothill – remodeled
1925-35 10th Avenue – 1960
New Supermarket
In 1960 Safeway Stores Inc. built a new 20,000 square foot building and a parking lot on 14th Avenue.
The Architects were Wurster, Bernardi, and Emmons of San Francisco.
1711 14th Avenue – Today – Google Maps
Loops’ for Traffic
To meet the problem of through traffic on a residential street, which caused neighborhood deterioration. Forty-seven intersections were marked to be altered, either to divert automobiles to through streets by way of traffic “loops.” or slow them down with curb extensions.
The traffic-diverting “loops” will be landscaped areas extending diagonally across intersections.
The result of these intersections was that through traffic in the project area is limited to 5th, 8th Avenues, north and south, East 21st Street, Foothill Blvd, and East 15th Street, east-west.
The Diverters -Google Maps
Diverters were placed at East 19th Street and 6th and 11th Avenues and East 20th Street at 7th and 10th Avenues. Also at East 20th Street and 12th Avenue.
Discouragers were also placed at East 20th Street and 13th Avenue and East 19th Street and 13th Avenue.
New Mercury Lights and Traffic Signals
Excerpts of articles fromthe Oakland Tribune 1960
Other features of the program included:
New Recreation Center
Widening of several streets and the installation of curbs and sewers.
Planting of 1,600 trees about 20 per block.
Construction of pedestrian overpasses over Foothill Blvd and East 15th Street for safe access to Franklin School.
Installation of new street lighting, street signs, and traffic signs.
Beautiful Homes of Clinton Park
Project Report
By March of 1962, 1,081 structures, containing 3,056 dwelling units have been repaired to eliminate all code. Violation. There have been ll7 structures demolished during the same period.
Final report of Oakland Renewal Foundation, Inc. on Clinton Park Project, Oakland, California. – @HathiTrust
During this same period, 57 new apartment buildings were constructed within the project area, adding l,l08 new units to the existing housing supply.
Situated in eastern Oakland’s rolling hills, it enjoys a warm, balmy climate and provides ideal home sites with an unobstructed view, a perfect place for children.
New Developer at Oak Knoll
David D Bohannon well-known subdivider and developer of San Francisco properties formed a new company called Oak Knoll Land Development Company. The company was to sell and develop the Oak Knoll area.
300 Home Building Plan
In June of 1937, David D. Bohannon Organization announced a vast building program of 300 new homes for Oak Knoll.
“beautiful detached homes of distinctive and individual architectural design, all situated on lots of generous dimensions.”
said: Bohannon
The Plan
Distinctive Architecture
FHA Inspection
FHA Financing
Restrictions Guard Oak Knoll*
*In developing Oak Knoll, reasonable restrictions have been set up to maintain what Nature has already done so well. Oakland Tribune June 06, 1937
Photo was taken 1929-1930 by Milton W. Molitor.
The building in the distance is either Holy Redeemer or Oak Knoll Country Club. If the photo is of Oak Knoll Ave (was Cabrillo Ave) then it would be Holy Redeemer.
3649 Oak Knoll in the late 20s Built by Milton W. Molitor. Photo was taken 1929-1930 by Milton W. Molitor.
The Plan in Action
The photo below shows the progress of their building plan. This is from the Oakland Tribune 1937. You can see Molitor home in the bottom right-hand corner
“The Home You’ve Read ad Dreamed of…Priced Lower Than You Dared to Hope.”
The first of the Oak Knoll Display Homes opened in June of 1937. The home was furnished by Breuner’s. ( I don’t know the location of this home)
Oakland Tribune June 1937
A spacious central living room with two bedrooms and a bath on one side, and inviting library-guest room with a bathroom and convenient, sunny kitchen on the other.
Oakland Tribune July 11, 1937
Beautifully designed electric fixtures in all rooms
Extra tile-top kitchen work table
Indirect lighting over the sink
Generous cupboard and drawer space…carefully planned.
Oakland Tribune July `18, 1937
One of Many New Oak Knoll Homes
Oakland Tribune July 11, 1937, I don’t know the location of this home.
Oak Knoll’s Exposition Home
The ‘Exposition’ home is located 9333 Murillo Ave opposite of Mirasol. The 1700 square foot house has beautiful view of the bay and bridges
Built-in bookcases
Peerless Kitchen
Breakfast Nook
Oakland Tribune 1939
The Golden Gate International Exposition was going happening on Treasure Island in 1939 and 1940. Hence the name Exposition Home and I can imagine they could see Treasure Island from the house.
Oakland Tribune 1939
One unique feature of the home was the 14 x 40-foot children’s playroom. In the backyard, there was a fenced playground with recreation equipment. (I wish I had a picture of that!)
In 1926 it was announced that development of the Oak Knoll Country Club and the land surrounding it would handled by Carroll L. Post, the former president of Post Food Products Company. They began building the first group of model homes in April of 1926. Ezell-Phebus were the sales-agents.
E.B. Field Co. took developing the project in 1927.
5, 000 people standing on a hillside AGREED! That: Oak Knoll is Oakland’s finest Homeland!“
Oakland Tribune Oct 02, 1927
Spanish Style Home
Oakland Tribune Fen 27, 1927
This six room Spanish style bungalow was built in 1927 and was designed by R.E. Neikirk of Oakland. You enter the home from a terraced entry to a large living room with chapel style ceiling. There are three sunny bedrooms, a kitchen and a dining room.
3558 Calafia Avenue – Google Maps
..Beautiful Oak Knoll – The Heart of Oakland’s Country Club Districts”
E.B. Field Co.
Casa De La Vista
I haven’t been able to find the location of this home.
Oakland Tribune March 1928
The attractive Spanish type residence opened in March of 1928. The architect was Harris Allen and the home was furnished by Whithone & Swan.
Oakland Tribune March 1928
Oakland Tribune March 1928
The Windsor House
Located on a spacious corner lot at Oak Knoll and Granada Avenues. The English style home was attractively adapted to the hillside setting. The house has five bedrooms and three bathrooms.
It was put on display to show how artistic a moderately priced can be with s comparetly small amount spent in furnishing it. Furnishing by Breuner’s of Oakland.
The Beautiful,Completely Furnished “ Windsor House”
Oakland Tribune
The home has beautiful hardwood floors and high coved ceilings. An expansive deck off the kitchen leads to a private back patio. A main-floor master suite makes for convenient living, with two more bedrooms and a playroom upstairs with the second full bathroom.
In 1937 a new home overlooking the Oak Knoll golf course and clubhouse was completed. The home was built for Domino Merlino at an approx. cost of $20,000.
4001 SequoyahRoad – Google Maps4001 SequoyahRoad – Google Maps
Calandria Avenue Home
Oakland Tribune April 1930
Construction of the new $13,000 home for Thomas King began in April of 1930. The outstanding feature of the home was the large living room window with a spectacular view of Oakland, San Francisco and the Bay.
David D Bohannon well-known subdivider and developer of San Francisco property, formed a new company called Oak Knoll Land Development Company. This was the third company sell and develop the Oak Knoll area. (Please see Oak Knoll Homes)
When this area was first built up in the mid-1920s it was part of Oak Knoll. Now it is considered to part of Sequoyah
“Fairway Estates is in the heart of the country club district and consists of a group of estates with building sites of generous size.” Oakland Tribune, August 18. 1929
Fairway Estates and Country Club Fairway Estates and Oak Knoll Unit C are all in the area known as Oak Knoll. Sequoyah Hills on three sides surround Oak Knoll.
The Oak Knoll Land Corporation handled the development.
In Fairway Estates
Oakland Tribune November 10, 1929
There are two large bedrooms with a sewing room and bathroom and a large dressing room with many different built-in fixtures and cabinets. On the lower are the maids’ quarters, with separate shower and billiard room. The bathrooms and kitchen are beautifully finished in colored tile.
3968 Turnley Avenue – Google Maps
In Fairway Estates
Oakland Tribune August 18, 19294050 Sequoyah Rd – Google Maps4050 Sequoyah Rd – Google Maps
The Jefferson Home
Oakland Tribune 1930
The Jefferson home is a seven-room, two-story residence of Spanish design. With a large living room and a massive oak stairway leading to a balcony overlooking the Oak Knoll golf course and country club.
3643 Califia Avenue – Google maps
“Another reason is the beautiful setting of Fairway Estates – overlooking the Oak Knoll Country club and golf course and views of wooded hills, the harbor, the bay cities, and the Golden Gate.” Oakland Tribune, August 18. 1929
Oak Knoll Country Club District
The Nine room Spanish Style home.
Oakland Tribune Oct 12, 1930
3845 Twin Oaks Way
3845 Twin Oaks Way
In Fairway Estates
Model Homes in Fairway Estates
Oakland Tribune June 30m 1930
Spanish Type Model Home
Spanish in architecture.
Oakland Tribune March 1930
The Fairway Estates model home opened in March of 1930. The home was designed by Watson Vernon to fit the lot-on which it stands, to utilize the view possibilities of the property to the best advantage.
Fairway Avenue – Google maps
Model Country Club Residence
Oakland Tribune June 08, 1930
The Spanish home takes greatest advantage of the two way view the wooded hillside on one side and the bay on the other. This six room home has a spacious master bedroom with a sunroom on the upper floor. The dining room window overlooks the golf course.
Oakland Tribune March 1930
Oakland Tribune June 08, 1930
3900 Fairway Avenue
Beautiful Spanish Model Home
Oakland TribuneMar 1930
3982 Turnley Ave – Google Maps
Fairway Estates Home
3549 Calafia Avenue –
La Casa Bella
Oakland Tribune November 30, 1930
Artistic in the extreme…”
Oakland Tribune Nov 1930
La Casa Bella opened in November of 1930. The home is of Spanish architecture showing the Moorish influence.
A master bedroom that will lull you to sleep after a gallon of coffee…”
Oakland Tribune Nov 16, 1930
Oakland Tribune March 30, 1930
A living room almost large enough for a country dance…”
Oakland Tribune Nov 16, 1930
3978 Turnley Avenue – Google Maps
Spanish Home at Oak Knoll
“…with the liquid silver of the moon lying in the pools of mystery the patio will coax you out of doors all hours of the day or night” – Oakland Tribune May 04, 1930
Claremont Pines was formally the P.E. Bowels estate“The Pines.” It is bounded by Broadway Terrace, Country Club Drive, Acacia Drive, and Romany Road.
Oakland Tribune
Palatial Home to be Built
In July 1928, a palatial residence, the Tribune-Schlesinger Home, was to be built in the new subdivision Claremont Pines developed by York Company Inc.
Oakland Tribune 1928
The Spanish-Mediterranean-style home was sponsored by the Oakland Tribune and was furnished by B.F. Schlesinger and Sons.
The house was designed by Frederick H. Reimers, an Oakland architect, and was constructed by C. Dudley de Velbiss, a well-known builder.
Drive Out Today
The Oakland Tribune columns fully describe each phase of the construction. The site was open to the public during construction.
Great care was taken in selecting the residence, which occupies a prominent corner overlooking the Claremont golf course and facing the Golden Gate.
“The Mediterranean type of architecture was selected to conform to the contour of the site and to the general rolling nature of the terrain.”
Frederick Reimers July 29, 1928
The house has sixteen rooms, each with an individual style. It also has a ballroom, library, and smoking room.
The halls and library have floors of colored, hand-made tile and arched doorways.
Ground Floor – Oakland Tribune 1928
It is further enhanced by a series of walled-in courts and terraces.
The landscaping was done under the supervision of Johannes Reimers, a local landscaper and artist who was also Frederick’s father.
Tribune-Schlesinger Home Breaks Ground
On August 09, 1928, the official groundbreaking was held in the presence of a large group of Eastbay notables.
Oakland Tribune August 1928
Home Nearing Completion
“Plastering is now ready to start.”
Oakland Tribune 1928
$55,000 was invested in the project, exclusive of the furniture and furnishings.
Unique Feature of Home
“a haven of rest and peace from the busy world.”
Frederick H. Reimers Architect
The exterior brick fireplace and terrace brick walls leading to the entrance are the same color as the stucco.
A Firm Foundation
Another feature was the concrete foundation installed by J.H. Fitzmaurice, Inc., a local concrete contractor. The foundation’s material was of the very best quality at the time.
All bearing walls are twelve inches in thickness.
Shows Rapid Progress
Significant progress was reported on November 04, 1928. It was expected to open on December 02, 1928.
Oakland Tribune November 1928
Under the guidance of A.L. Abrott of B.F. Schlesinger & Sons, a rare harmony of late Renaissance furnishings, promised to make the home of exceptional interest.
The upper floors followed the lighter moods of the seventeenth century when Venice was still at the height of her glory.
The ballroom or social hall on the ground floor was decorated in the spirit of modern jazz and twentieth-century amusement.
Magnificent Vestibule
Upon entering the vestibule, one is impressed by the tremendous Castillian effect of the entrance and the monumental stairway—the curving staircase with artistic hand-wrought iron railing.
Oakland Tribune October 28, 1928
The main stairway leads to a secondary vestibule, giving access to four bedrooms.
New Type of Telephones
Convenience was the new type of telephone installation by Pacific Bell. Each telephone is placed to obtain the highest possible comfort and privacy for the users and blend in with the decor.
Two main lines were installed: one for the family’s use and the second primarily for the servants’ use.
A hand telephone with a key box was installed in the master bedroom. The keys could cut off the servant’s phone for privacy.
Oakland Tribune 1928
A wall telephone connected to the servants’ line was placed in the garage.
Formally Opened
The formal opening was held on Sunday, December 30, 1928. Lucile Webster Gleason of the Dufwin Theater, star in “The Shannons of Broadway,” formally opened the doors.
Large Crowds
Ten thousand visitors viewed the home in its first opening week, and seven thousand attended the opening day.
“One month before his death, Charles Kruse was leaving for the county hospital, which he never expected to return.” Kruse gave G.W. Brusseau a package with a few intimate belongings, the key to his house, and the note.
Oakland, March 15 (?)
“This is my gift of Deed all is in my possession to Mr. G.W. Brusseau after my daet”
“Chas. Kruse”
Only Man He Trusted
According to Brusseau’s attorney, Kruse only had one trusted friend. Kruse helped care for the hermit for 13 years. He never had the money to pay Brusseau for his labor but intended to see that he ultimately received his property.
Brusseau saved the 10-acre plot from being sold for taxes and paid off the mortgage. It was claimed.
In March of 1923, Kruse applied for admission to the county infirmary on the grounds he was penniless. He had cancer.
Oakland Tribune 1923
Following Kruse’s death at the county hospital, preparations were being made to bury him in the potter’s field. Brusseau stepped in and said he would pay for his funeral.
Mountain View Cemetery – plot 48 Photo by REHM – Find A Grave
Brusseau purchased a plot in Mountain View cemetery that bordered his property.
He could see the grave from his porch.
Oakland Tribune 1923
Fight for Estate
Judge George Samuels was informed of the case when Brusseau filed a petition for probate of the paper as the last will, Kruse.
Because the completed date was omitted, Judge Samuels refused probate and granted administration letters to Albert E. Hill, a Public Administrator.
Thrown Out As A Will Upheld As Deed
In June 1923, a petition was submitted to the Almeda superior to record the scrap of paper as a gift deed. In this claim, Judge James G. Quinn decided that Kruse never intended the piece of paper as a will but intended to constitute an immediate conveyance of land as a deed.
In the meantime, Brusseau had lost a third suit filed against the estate for reimbursement for his unpaid labor.
The Recorder 1927
The public administrator appealed to the California Supreme Court for a decision on the title to the property.
Dying Hermit’s Note Valid
In May 1927, the Supreme Court affirmed Judge JG Quinn’s decision that the note given to Brusseau from Kruse constituted a deed to the 10 acres of land.
Charles Kruse owned and lived on 10 acres of land in Hayes Canyon since 1888.
Oakland Tribune 1888
The property bordered William J. Dingee’s land, and in 1888, Dingee sued Kruse for $93 to cover the cost of a fence.
Kruse peddled flowers to florists’ shops in the Eastbay for many years.
After his death, it was discovered that he owned one of the largest nurseries in Alameda County. The nursery and the tiny shack where he lived were hidden behind a high fence and tall cypress hedges.
Oakland Tribune Apr 10, 1923
The 10 acres were valued at more than $10,000 in 1923.
In 1898, George Washington Brusseau purchased a 2-acre lot at 3200 Edith Street (now 4901 Harbord Drive).