This is the post excerpt.
In March of 1886, the Board of Supervisors created a new school district. That took from portions of the Piedmont, Peralta, and Fruitvale districts and representing about 44 children. The new district was called the Hays district, in honor of the late Colonel John Coffee Hays. The superintendent appointed the following residents of the area … Continue reading Hays School in Montclair
The first home according to the above article was built for Erwin Howell. The two-story colonial was built at 4065 Oakmore Road. Colonial Erwin Howell Owner 1927 Google Map 1924 Hoover Avenue Spanish Style Grace Clifford Frederick H Reimers Architect Irwin Reimers Builder 1927 Google Maps 1941 Hoover Avenue Colonial Style 1928 Harry W. Hartman … Continue reading Oakmore Highlands Homes
Breuner-Tribune Home June 1934 Display Homes of 1934 New homes at 1746 Leimert, 1808 Leimert and 1816 Leimert - Sept 1934 1746 Leimert, 1808 Leimert and 1816 Leimert Just a few of the homes in the Oakmore Highlands Neighborhood. For more on Oakmore Highlands please see: Oakmore Highlands
Wickman Havens Real Estate Company opened Havenscourt in 1912. Within the 170 acres Havenscourt there are 21 miles of streets and sidewalks.¹ Two Schools, 17 Acres Playground, a Civic Center and train station The official entrance was at Havenscourt Blvd and East 14th Street where there was a a pergola and a gazebo. The Havenscourt station … Continue reading Havenscourt
Natural beauty abounds in the 150 acres of wooded, rolling hills that comprise the Oakmore District or Oakmore Highlands. The Walter H. Leimert Company laid out the subdivision with wide paved streets and ample sidewalks. See Oakmore Highland History The Leimert Bridge was designed in 1926, by George A. Posey, to safely accommodate vehicle traffic, Park … Continue reading Oakmore Highlands
College Pines is located at the corner of Broadway Terrace and Harbord Drive location(formally Edith), just past the Claremont Country Club. The name of College Pines was chosen because of the close proximately to College of the Sisters of Holy Names, new High School. The sales office was located at the corner of Broadway Terrace and Ostrander Road, as seen … Continue reading College Pines
This is not about race. It about when Oakland city planners decided to market Oakland as "The White City". As a suggestion to future designers and builders. It was not intended to be used in public, just circulated among builders and planners of the city. I get the thinking behind the slogan and can almost … Continue reading Oakland…The White City