Wickman Havens Real Estate Company opened Havenscourt in 1912. Within the 170 acres of Havenscourt are 21 miles of streets and sidewalks.¹
SF Call April 13, 1912
The official entrance was at Havenscourt Blvd and East 14th Street, with a pergola and a gazebo. The Havenscourt station and business district were located on Havenscourt Blvd and Bancroft.².
Photo by Cheney Photo Advertising – Oakland History Room
The entrance to Havenscourt
Havenscourt Blvd at Bancroft looking towards Frick School
Two Schools, 17 Acres Playground, a Civic Center, and a train station
67th Avenue between Arthur St and Avenal Ave
Then and Now – Above and Below
Looking south on 66th Street from Arthur St
Looking south on 65th Ave from Arthur St
Cheney Photo Advertising Company took all the photos, and they are from the Oakland History Room or OMCA.
Rolling Hills of Oakmore circa 1920’s – Oakland History Room
Natural beauty abounds in the 150 acres of wooded, rolling hills that comprise the Oakmore District or Oakmore Highlands. The Walter H. LeimertCompany laid out the subdivision with wide streets and ample sidewalks. See Oakmore Highland History
The Leimert Bridge was designed in 1926, by George A. Posey, to safely accommodate vehicle traffic, Park Boulevard Streetcars, and pedestrians.
The Leimert Bridge during construction and in 1926, Photo by Cheney Photo Advertising
The original subdivision was bordered by Sausal Creek and Dimond Canyon. During the initial sales period, sound design was promoted through a model open house program called the ‘Oakmore Home Ideal’ where buyers could visit a custom home designed by local architects Miller & Warnecke.
Later, in 1934, The Leimert Company teamed with the Oakland Tribune and Breuner’s FurnitureCompany to furnish a demonstration model home that drew 8,000 visitors in three weeks.
Oakland Tribune June 28, 1934
The following year another Breuner’s furnished house was nicknamed “Golden Windows” to highlight the extensive use of glass on the view side of the home and the commanding views from the subdivision.
Oakland Tribune August 1934
Real Estate Developer: Walter H. Leimert Company
Contractors: Park Boulevard Company
Property Managers: Mitchell & Austin
150 Acres, 4 tracts 440 lots
Sales began in October 1926
Photos
Aerial view of upper Dimond Canyon and surrounding, still mostly undeveloped, neighborhoods, Leimert Bridge visible in the foreground. – 1926-1936 Oakland History Room
Aerial view of Dimond Canyon – 1926-1936 – Oakland History Room
Broadway Terrace @ Ostrander St. Photo from Oakland History Room.
College Pines is located at the corner of Broadway Terrace and Harbord Drive location(formally Edith), just past the Claremont Country Club. The name of College Pineswas chosen because of the close proximity to the College of the Sisters of Holy Names, a new High School.
Harbord Drive and Broadway Terrace in 1933 – Oakland History Room Photo
Broadway Terrace and Clarewood Drive in 1933 – Oakland History Room photo
The homesites front on along Harbord Drive for about a half-mile or more. The lots were priced at $27.00 per foot. A forty-foot lot would cost $1075.00, with a low down payment and easy terms. Sold by the Claremont Pines Corporation and later Michell & Austin.
Oakland Tribune June 1932
Holy Names Central High School was built on Harbord Drive and opened in 1934.
Display Homes
In December of 1933, the first display home opened at 4339 Harbord Drive. The house had eight rooms with two baths and a 14 x 32-foot rumpus room, and
“pleasing features galore.”
Oakland Tribune Dec 1933
The house was priced at $6850 and was recently sold in 2016 for $1,360,000.
Oakland Tribune Dec 1933
In September of 1934, another display home was opened at 4347 Harbord Drive. The green and white wood and brick cottage and two bedrooms and a den or nursery, and a large playroom. The house was priced at $6500, with just a $75 down payment and $75 a month. The home recently sold for $825,000 in 2012.
Oakland Tribune Sept 1934
Misc. ads for homes
Update:
The stone pillar is still there at the corner of Broadway Terrace and Ostrander Street.
Broadway Terrace and Ostrander St 2018 – Photo from Google Maps
“Atop one of the knolls, commanding full advantage of the ever-changing vistas, is Casa Altadena, the distinctive exhibition home of Realty Syndicate. Company”
Casa Altadena is of Spanish architecture. It occupies a knoll overlooking beautiful wooded vistas and canyons on one side and a panorama of the bay on the other.
Oakland Tribune – January 29, 1928
Opening Day
SF Examiner February 11, 1928
SF Examiner February 11, 1928
Over 500 people attended the opening on January 29, 1929.
Oakland Tribune February 5, 1928
Casa Altadena reflects the discerning taste of its decorators, who sought to incorporate the romance of the Peraltas into its furnishings.
One of the rooms in Casa Altadena – Oakland Tribune January 29, 1928
Details include its tiled roof, arched doorways, decorative tiles, wood trims, antique wall sconces, and decorative wrought-iron work.
“The Casa Maria Luisa,” the first of the “Daughter of Peralta” homes, will open an exhibition residence with imported furnishings in Smith Reserve (now the Piedmont Pines section of Montclair in Oakland) after January 1, 1930. Fully decorated by H.C. Capwell company and sold by the Realty Syndicate.
Oakland Tribue April 27, 1930
Casa Maria Luisa, when completely furnished, represented an investment of $50,000.
“Master craftsmen have been employed in building and furnishing this usual home”
Oakland Tribune January 19, 1930
One of the noted Cathedral Artists stenciled the beams and ceilings, lighting fixtures from rare old-world patterns, and overhanging balconies reminiscent of early Spanish California with heavy doors. Oriental rugs of Spanish design are made to order. The house had numerous 1930’s state-of-the-art features, including a Walker Electric Sink in the kitchen.
Oakland Tribune January 12, 1930
Casa Maria Luisa occupies three wooded lots with a panoramic view. They surrounded the home with rare shrubs, plants, and Monterey and Cypress Trees.
Casa Maria Luisa opened to rave reviews claiming to be
“the most beautiful and popular home ever shown in Oakland.”
S F Examiner April 5, 1930
Forty-six thousand people toured Casa Masa Luisa through April 1930.
Oakland Tribune April 13, 1930
In 1931, The Oakland Tribune Yearbook named it one of the most beautiful homes of that year.
Oakland Tribune January 19, 1930
William and Cordelia Wanderforde purchased the home in about 1931.
In 1987 a couple bought the home from the original owner Cordelia who had lived there for some 50 years. They put a lot of money into repairing and updating the house.