Highland Manor is located off of Broadway Terrace, before Lake Temescal.
Highland Manor Oakland, Alameda Co., Cal., 1915 / P.A. Haviland, County Surveyor. Filed at request of Realty Syndicate Company – UC Berkeley Library
In 1917, the Realty Syndicate Co. was preparing to sellHighland Manor, a restricted residential subdivision adjoining Rockridge. The engineering work on the 31 acres was completed, and the tract map was filed. The street work reached completion on McAdam Street (now Broadway Terrace), the main artery through the property.
Highland Manor
“with a bang war was declared“
Oakland Tribune August 12, 1920
Oakland Tribune May and August 1920
Further expenditures were stopped because America was at war. The completed advertising campaign gathered dust until it was revived in 1920 by new agents, with prices for quarter, half, and acre lots at $5.00 per front foot.
Highland Manor
“From where you look down upon your city Oakland. Whose streets spread like the arteries of a maple leaf until they sink into the Bay Beyond. From whence her lights at night glitter like a million diamonds set in the ebony of night – a panorama nowhere surpassed in the world.” Oakland Tribune
The home in the above photo is on Broadway Terrace at 6327. It is a two-story English-style home with a cement basement and a separate garage.
Oakland Tribune Jan 27, 1929Oakland Tribune Feb 15, 1970
In 1929, it sold for $7850.00, and again in 1970, it sold for $29,950. It is now estimated to be worth $1,612,215.
“Where the Air is Laden With the Sweet Breath of Nature“
Oakland Tribune August 13, 1922
The home in the photo below is at 6333 Broadway Terrace
“Where Quiet Reigns and Man Feels at Peace with Himself and the World”
Oakland Tribune August 13, 1922
Oakland Tribune
New Highland Manor Model Home
The home, which is of Spanish architecture, commands a marvelous view from the living, dining, and kitchen rooms. The living room runs the entire length of the house.
Oakland Tribune June 8, 1930
The first floor also has two bedrooms and a bathroom. The lower floor has a large bedroom that could be used as a child’s playroom or social hall, bathroom, laundry, furnace, and storage rooms.
Phil Heraty (1896-1969) was a Bay Area Builder and Developer responsible for homes in Concord, Walnut Creek, San Leandro, and Oakland. I covered Melrose Highlands in Oakland here.
In 1940, Heraty opened new offices at 3625 Hopkins Street (now MacArthur Blvd.) and announced that this would be the headquarters for all company operations. The branch office at 5815 Thornhill, the original tract office for the Merriewood Development, is now home to a daycare.
It is now Medical Offices – Oakland Tribune November 10, 1940
This post will cover a group of homes built in the Broadway Terrace area by Lake Temescal.
Lake Temescal Studio Homes
The development of Lake Temescal in 1938 as a recreation center with swimming and picnic grounds significantly increased the demand for building homes in the wooded hill district adjacent to the lake.
Oakland Tribune 1938
In May 1938, Phil Heraty announced the completion of a new group of eight studio homes he called ‘Lake Temescal Studio Homes.’ The previous year, he sold 37 studio homes in the area.
Oakland Tribune May 1938
Below is one of the Studio Homes. It was located at 6192 Ruthland Road and was lost in the 1991 fire.
Oakland Tribune 1938
The Temescal, a furnished 6-room display home, was opened in November 1938. It was listed for $4950.00
Oakland Tribune 1938
The Temescal is located on Florence Terrace, where it meets Capricorn Avenue.
This is the area where I grew up. I used to walk to school with a girl who lived there. They moved sometime in the mid-1970s. I then babysat for the next family that lived there. I watched their daughter from about six months to three years old. I love this house! I fantasized about living there.
In 1940, Heraty announced the completion of a new group of “unusual studio homes” located along Broadway Terrace and Taurus Avenue.
Oakland Tribune 1940Oakland Tribune 1940
The new two-bedroom homes would cost less than $4900 to less than $6000. They featured large living rooms with beamed ceilings and corner fireplaces, corner tiled sinks in an airy kitchen, and elevated bedrooms on a huge lot. The largest home in the group had a rumpus room finished in knotty pine.
Sliding Down
Oakland Tribune 1953
In the spring of 1952, a group of studio homes in the Upper Broadway Terrace area at Taurus Road began sliding down the hill. I’m not saying they had anything to do Phil Hearty and the construction.
7075 Broadway Terrace
7081 Broadway Terrace
7085 Broadway Terrace
7093 Broadway Terrace
9009 Broadway Terrace
9025 Broadway Terrace
9033 Broadway Terrace
9041 Broadway Terrace
Oakland Tribune May 18, 1952
The following year, during the winter rains and after the city of Oakland had done extensive work on the slide, the homes began to slide again. This turned what was left of the homes into rubble and further damaged others.
In 1954, eight Broadway Terrace property owners sued the city of Oakland and the Oakland Sewer Construction Company for $135,000. The suit alleged the damage was caused by seepage from a ditch the sewer construction company dug.
“eight houses in a hilly portion of Oakland, which, prior to 1949, were serviced by septic tanks. The area is a natural drainage area” Findlaw
“prior to the sewer installation, had leaking septic tanks, and possibly some springs.” Findlaw
The area now has big homes built after the 1991 fire.
Claremont Pines was formally the P.E. Bowels estate“The Pines.” It is bounded by Broadway Terrace, Country Club Drive, Acacia Drive, and Romany Road.
Oakland Tribune
Palatial Home to be Built
In July 1928, a palatial residence, the Tribune-Schlesinger Home, was to be built in the new subdivision Claremont Pines developed by York Company Inc.
Oakland Tribune 1928
The Spanish-Mediterranean-style home was sponsored by the Oakland Tribune and was furnished by B.F. Schlesinger and Sons.
The house was designed by Frederick H. Reimers, an Oakland architect, and was constructed by C. Dudley de Velbiss, a well-known builder.
Drive Out Today
The Oakland Tribune columns fully describe each phase of the construction. The site was open to the public during construction.
Great care was taken in selecting the residence, which occupies a prominent corner overlooking the Claremont golf course and facing the Golden Gate.
“The Mediterranean type of architecture was selected to conform to the contour of the site and to the general rolling nature of the terrain.”
Frederick Reimers July 29, 1928
The house has sixteen rooms, each with an individual style. It also has a ballroom, library, and smoking room.
The halls and library have floors of colored, hand-made tile and arched doorways.
Ground Floor – Oakland Tribune 1928
It is further enhanced by a series of walled-in courts and terraces.
The landscaping was done under the supervision of Johannes Reimers, a local landscaper and artist who was also Frederick’s father.
Tribune-Schlesinger Home Breaks Ground
On August 09, 1928, the official groundbreaking was held in the presence of a large group of Eastbay notables.
Oakland Tribune August 1928
Home Nearing Completion
“Plastering is now ready to start.”
Oakland Tribune 1928
$55,000 was invested in the project, exclusive of the furniture and furnishings.
Unique Feature of Home
“a haven of rest and peace from the busy world.”
Frederick H. Reimers Architect
The exterior brick fireplace and terrace brick walls leading to the entrance are the same color as the stucco.
A Firm Foundation
Another feature was the concrete foundation installed by J.H. Fitzmaurice, Inc., a local concrete contractor. The foundation’s material was of the very best quality at the time.
All bearing walls are twelve inches in thickness.
Shows Rapid Progress
Significant progress was reported on November 04, 1928. It was expected to open on December 02, 1928.
Oakland Tribune November 1928
Under the guidance of A.L. Abrott of B.F. Schlesinger & Sons, a rare harmony of late Renaissance furnishings, promised to make the home of exceptional interest.
The upper floors followed the lighter moods of the seventeenth century when Venice was still at the height of her glory.
The ballroom or social hall on the ground floor was decorated in the spirit of modern jazz and twentieth-century amusement.
Magnificent Vestibule
Upon entering the vestibule, one is impressed by the tremendous Castillian effect of the entrance and the monumental stairway—the curving staircase with artistic hand-wrought iron railing.
Oakland Tribune October 28, 1928
The main stairway leads to a secondary vestibule, giving access to four bedrooms.
New Type of Telephones
Convenience was the new type of telephone installation by Pacific Bell. Each telephone is placed to obtain the highest possible comfort and privacy for the users and blend in with the decor.
Two main lines were installed: one for the family’s use and the second primarily for the servants’ use.
A hand telephone with a key box was installed in the master bedroom. The keys could cut off the servant’s phone for privacy.
Oakland Tribune 1928
A wall telephone connected to the servants’ line was placed in the garage.
Formally Opened
The formal opening was held on Sunday, December 30, 1928. Lucile Webster Gleason of the Dufwin Theater, star in “The Shannons of Broadway,” formally opened the doors.
Large Crowds
Ten thousand visitors viewed the home in its first opening week, and seven thousand attended the opening day.
In December 1943, there were winds up to 75 MPH and many fires in the hills and the East Bay. There were at least 10 brush and grass fires reported all over Northern California.
The smell of burning eucalyptus hung over the city for hours
Oakland Tribune Dec 09, 19443
The fire in the Oakland hills started near Broadway Terrace and Skyline, in the area above the Broadway Tunnel (Caldecott Tunnel). There also was a fire on Snake Road.
Oakland Tribune Dec 09, 1943
The fire started just after midnight and burned for about 3 hours. The fire was most likely started by down wires knocked down by gale-force winds. There were over 30 fires reported all over Oakland.
Oakland Tribune Dec 09, 1943
Oakland Tribune Dec 09, 1943
Oakland Tribune Dec 09, 1943
Oakland Tribune Dec 09, 1943
Oakland Tribune Dec 09, 1943
Oakland Tribune Dec 09, 1943
Wind and Fires Wreck Havoc
Oakland Tribune Dec 09, 1943
Oakland Tribune Dec 09, 1943
Oakland Tribune Dec 09, 1943
Fire destroyed the garbage facility at the end of Davis Street
A brush and timber fire that destroyed at least four Oakland hill area homes and menaced at least 50 more burned in the area of Pine Needle Road and Upper Broadway Terraceand came close to the buildings of the new Broadway Low-Level tunnel (Caldicott Tunnel). This was on September 25, 1937.
Oakland Tribune Sep 26, 1937
The photo below was taken at the hight of the blaze, but before the fire jumped Tunnel Road.
Scores of families fled their homes in fear; others who sought to save the belongings were ordered out by fireman.
Mrs. G.H. Cowles with Eunice and Hazel Cowles of 6142 Pinewood Road
The W.R Powers Family lost their home at 6142 Ruthland Road.
Edith Thorpe 6, holds her pet Rhode Island Red Hen
Burned Area
The fire started close to the home of Police inspector Jesse Jackson at 6019 Pinewood Road at around 3 pm on September 25, 1937. During the first six hours, the fire had burned across the western edge of the Pinehaven district up Broadway Terrace to a point just below Skyline Blvd. and back down another canyon to the west.
Oakland Tribune Sept 26, 1937
The fire chief estimated the fire burned over 9 square miles of rolling hill county.
Oakland Tribune Sept 26, 1937
Hose lines Burned
Several hundred feet of hose laid across brushy areas to link the pumps to the fire area were destroyed by flames. Lack of water was a problem, they had used up all the water in reservoirs in the immediate area.
The fire started when a “backyard bonfire” got out of control.
1929 Fire
There was a fire in November of 1929 in just about the same area. Some of the same homes were damaged then. The W.R. Powers home was saved in 1929 only to burn down in 1937.
Oakland Tribune Nov 15, 1929
Oakland Tribune Nov 15, 1929
1933 Fire
There was a fire in 1933 with the loss of one home at 7135 Pinehaven Road.
“The Pines” was the beautiful home and surrounding gardens of Mr. and Mrs. Philip E. Bowles. Built in 1910, it stood at No. 2 Bowling Drivein what is now Rockridge.
In 1909, Philip E. Bowlespurchased 51 acres (58 acres in some publications) of land in “Claremont Hills,” adjoining the Horatio P Livermore Homestead. Bowles was the president of the First National Bank of Oakland and a Regent of the University of California from 1911-22.
He signed a contract to erect a residence that would cost $31,000. The Architect was L.B. Dutton. He engaged an expert landscaper who designed the estate’s grounds by following Bowles’s plans.
The home, built in the Italian Villa style, had twenty-two rooms and a full basement. It had six master bedrooms, dressing rooms, five bathrooms, three sleeping porches, a library, a drawing room, and a conservatory.
Oakland Tribune March 28, 1909
The house and grounds had a fascinating view of the bay and surrounding country.
Inside the home
Gardens
Mr. and Mrs. P.E. Bowles on a garden path at The Pines
The home was surrounded by a veritable forest filled with quail and dotted with miniature lakes stocked with large rainbow trout and a well-stocked bass pond.
There was a Japanese Tea garden with pools containing rare goldfish, golden carp, and unusual aquatic plants.
There was also a tennis court, a swimming pool, an oversized garage, and a horse stable with a trotting park.
Mr. and Mrs. P.E. Bowles on a garden path at The Pines
Mr. Bowles purchased from all over the world; he bought the best. The rhododendrons were especially lovely.
SF Chronicle July 28, 1913
Architecture & Engineer of California Magazine issue featured the home. It states the architect was L.B. Dutton. Architecture & Engineer of California Jan 1911, pg. 204 –
High Society at The Pines
Many dances and social events were held at The Pines.
Oakland Tribune June 17, 1910
In 1912, the Bowles’s daughter Amy married Hiram Johnson Jr., the son of Governor Hiram W. Johnson. The wedding was held at The Pines.
Oakland Tribune May 30, 1912
Death of P.E. Bowles
On January 20, 1926, Philip Bowles died at 67.
SF Examiner January 21, 1926
Possible Park
Mayor Davie urged the city of Oakland Park board to purchase land and a home for $700,000for a public playground or park. That fell through.
Oakland Tribune October 15, 1926
Claremont Pines
Oakland Tribune August 26, 1928
In May of 1927, a year after Philip Bowles died, Mrs. Bowles sold the entire estate to a group of men from southern California, and they hired the York Company, Inc. of Oakland to handle development and sales.
The York company subdivided the land and called it Claremont Pines, combining the name of the nearby district with the name of the Bowles Estate.
In 1927 or 1928, Andrew Williams of the Andrew Williams Store, a local grocery chain, purchased the home at No. 2 Bowling Drive.
Oakland Tribune February 26, 1928
After spending two years remodeling and adding new furniture, including expensive Persian rugs, Williams put the home up for sale in 1932
As for No. 2 Bowling Drive 1931
Oakland Tribune September 05, 1932
The Wrecking Ball
In 1938, the main house was destroyed by the wrecking and sold off piece by piece—a sad ending for a home that was just 28 years old.
Oakland Tribune Feb 1938
Bowles Hall – UC Berkeley
In 1928, in memory of her husband, Mrs. Bowles donated $250,000 to the University of California to build a dormitory for men, wholly and appropriately furnished, on or near the University campus in Berkeley. It is known as Bowles Hall.
A caretaker house was located at the front gates of the estate. It stood at the portal through the high metal-spiked fence around the estate. The five-room bungalow, which formally served as the guardian of the estate, was used as the tract office from 1928- 1948.
It was at this little cottage where the streetcar once stopped.
In 1948, the cottage was sold to Charles Ray Jr. of 1028 85th Avenue, and he placed it on the lot next to his.
Broadway Terrace @ Ostrander St. Photo from Oakland History Room.
College Pines is located at the corner of Broadway Terrace and Harbord Drive location(formally Edith), just past the Claremont Country Club. The name of College Pineswas chosen because of the close proximity to the College of the Sisters of Holy Names, a new High School.
Harbord Drive and Broadway Terrace in 1933 – Oakland History Room Photo
Broadway Terrace and Clarewood Drive in 1933 – Oakland History Room photo
The homesites front on along Harbord Drive for about a half-mile or more. The lots were priced at $27.00 per foot. A forty-foot lot would cost $1075.00, with a low down payment and easy terms. Sold by the Claremont Pines Corporation and later Michell & Austin.
Oakland Tribune June 1932
Holy Names Central High School was built on Harbord Drive and opened in 1934.
Display Homes
In December of 1933, the first display home opened at 4339 Harbord Drive. The house had eight rooms with two baths and a 14 x 32-foot rumpus room, and
“pleasing features galore.”
Oakland Tribune Dec 1933
The house was priced at $6850 and was recently sold in 2016 for $1,360,000.
Oakland Tribune Dec 1933
In September of 1934, another display home was opened at 4347 Harbord Drive. The green and white wood and brick cottage and two bedrooms and a den or nursery, and a large playroom. The house was priced at $6500, with just a $75 down payment and $75 a month. The home recently sold for $825,000 in 2012.
Oakland Tribune Sept 1934
Misc. ads for homes
Update:
The stone pillar is still there at the corner of Broadway Terrace and Ostrander Street.
Broadway Terrace and Ostrander St 2018 – Photo from Google Maps