In 1980 the Mckinley family of Oakland was one of seven Oakland families that were approved for a construction loan of $45,000 to participate in the Owner-Built Housing Program of Oakland Neighborhood Housing Services (ONHS).
The homes are located on 73rd Avenue between International Blvd and Holly Street.
Building Training
SF Examiner
The families were trained in construction techniques and were supervised by professional construction personnel. They took classes at the Owner Builder Center in Berkeley. The highly technical and most finish work was subcontracted out.
SF Examiner
Each family was obligated to provide 40 hours of labor week on the construction of their home.
SF Examiner
The couples had to have incomes of between $21,000 and $31,000. They had to be Oakland residents for a year and be first-time homeowners.
Sf Examiner
Project Design
Architects at the University of California, Berkeley, contributed to the beginning design stages of the project and made the model used in the presentation to the City of Oakland.
Before “The Montclarion” newspaper rolled off the presses in 1944, there were two earlier editions. The Montclair Garden Club published a newsletter called the Montclair Clarion in the early 1930s and then the Montclarion.
Montclarion – Thanks to Chris Treadway
Montclair Clarion
In January of 1935, a small booklet of community news and poetry appeared in mailboxes in the Merriewood area. The Merriewood-Pinewood Improvement Club sponsored it.
The Montclair Clarion was distributed free of charge. It included poetry, stories, community activities, advertisements, and a recipe for Pumpkin Chiffon Pie.
The cover was a pen-and-ink sketch by Schuler of two pines, grass, and a view of the hills beyond. The sketch tool had slight variations, reflecting the seasons.
Montclarion 1992
Margery Lane Schuler, who lived at 5646 Merriewood Drive, was the editor. Schuler was also the advertising manager, copyreader, publisher, and art director.
In her first editorial, Schuler wrote that she hopes the Montclair Clarion will “have a great many people become more aware of the beauty of the district of the district and promote a desire for our living amongst the trees and nature, living close to God, thereby establishing us to live richer fuller lives.
” We want them to see our sunset, to breathe our pines; and everyone should hear our birds sing in the morning, they like it too, out here.”
Some news from the Clarion
Mrs. Emerson’s garden party with an entrance charge of 50 cents.
The Women’s club was booked solid.
Realtor Ione Jones had a pine lot available for $1,500.
Montclair Realty at 6466 Moraga announced the permit for the Hamilton Market.
New street sign at the blind corner of Merriewood and Sherwood Drives.
The cover of the April 1935 edition boasted a circulation of 1000, and by September 1935, the little book was less than ten pages.
Montclair Clarion Feb-Mar 1935 –Thanks Chris Treadway
In 1940, the first issue of the Monclairion, still a typed, mimeographed newsletter, appeared. Promising its readers, “a personal newssheet will keep you informed on the interesting and important events in your community.
July 13, 1940 –Thanks Chris Treadway
The area’s monthly news source was published by the Montclair Townsite Association, “of, by and for the people of Montclair from Piedmont to Skyline.” The yearly subscription price is $1.00.
Thanks, Chris Treadway
The editor, realtor Beatrice Pause of The Montclair Realty Co., had a staff of three nurserymen: Elmer Warren, local resident Damond Woodlee, whose forte was “scandal,” and her sister Pierette DeVincenzi.
Vol 2 No 54 July 1941
A popular and controversial column, “Well What Do You Know” by Yehudi, reported the goings-on of hill residents and merchants. “Yehudi” kept things stirred up by tattling on everyone, even himself.
“What local golf wizard took what local scribe’s pants at what club?” began a column in July 1940. “Little did he suspect this local scribe had shed his longies.” (and editors’ note read: Yehudi to be released from local klink Monday)
Vol 2 Oct 1941 Thanks, Chris Treadway
Five months after that first issue appeared, The Montclarion became a weekly, six to eight-page publication that included the “important events of the community” gossip, meetings, gardening and cooking tips, new neighbors, and help-wanted columns.
Four months later, the paper was delivered by carriers every Friday to 2,150 homes.
Advertisements on the letter-size news sheet reflected the hill area growth.
Charles Huenneke had taken over the Montclair Pharmacy at the corner of Moraga and La Salle.
Gil’s Market opened at 6120 La Salle.
Edward’s Cleaners and Hatters opened.
Thanks, Chris Treadway
The following year, four days after the bombing of Pearl Harbor, urged residents to enroll in civilian defense classes.
Vol. 3 No 1 Jan 1942 – Thanks Chris Treadway
But despite its popularity—2000 papers every week—the Montclarion died quietly sometime in 1942, a victim of wartime shortages and rising production costs.
For nearly two years, the Montclarion was nothing more than a copyrighted title.
The Montclarion
Fred and Micky Graeser bought the title for $100.00, rented printing equipment, and set up shop in their home on Sobrante Road. They sold the paper in 1977.
Montclarion
The first issue was on October 27, 1944, and started as a four-page semi-tabloid whose pages varied in size.
Over the years, The Montclarion moved their offices at least eight times.
Montclarion
Various Issues
Monntclarion June 1949 – Thanks to Chris Treadway
Montclarion March 1952 Thanks, Chris Treadway
MontclarionAugust 1953Montclarion Nov 17, 1955Montclarion May 1957Montclarion April 1957Montclarion 1962
Fountain of Serenity in Knowland State Arboretum and Park. “Serena,” the statue which tops the fountain, inspires calm and courage in the face of worldly troubles. Oakland Tribune
Latham sold the home to Horace H. Seaton in 1885, who sold it, S. Murray, in 1892, who then sold it to Edward G. Lukens in 1897. Lukens, son, was state Senator George R. Lukens.
Oakland Tribune1898
In its heyday, the old mansion was a showplace. The home was a three-story structure with 25 rooms, a billiard room, a glass conservatory, and a bowling alley in the rear. There was also an ornate two-story barn with a hayloft and with horse stalls.
Undated – the fountain closer to the right side of the photo.
The Lukens family lived there until the death of Mrs. Emma Lukens in 1925.
Sometime after the death of Mrs. Lukens, the mansion was purchased by Edger L. Buttner, a civic leader, and electrical contractor.
Oakland Tribune Jan 22, 1928
Oakland Tribune Jan 22, 1928
Oakland Tribune Jan 22, 1928
Barn/Livery Stable
In about 1938, Raoul Pause, a leading Oakland ballet teacher, converted part of the old two-story barn into a ballet studio. Many of the Oakland Ballet’s first dancers were students of Raoul Pause., he was the brother of Paul Pause of Montclair Reality.
In October of 1948, the building was damaged in a fire.
In 1952 the same building was destroyed by another fire. At the time of the fire, the building was being used by the Hotel Senator (a boarding house) as a garage.
In 1957 the mansion was demolished to make room for an apartment complex.
Oakland Tribune May 17, 1957
Oakland Tribune June 02, 1957
The Fountain Today
TheLatham-Ducel Fountain is the centerpiece of Preservation Park. It’s more popularly known as the Diana Fountain. The fountain is cast iron and was forged in Paris in the 1870s.
TheLatham Square Fountain is located at the intersection of Telegraph and Broadway in downtown Oakland. It was erected in 1913 as a memorial for James H. Latham and Henrietta Latham by their children and the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA).
Eight charming five-room homes of Spanish and Mission architecture were built by Willis F. Lynn on Nicol Avenue. Five of the houses were sold before they were completed. The last three went on sale on June 14, 1925.
Oakland Tribune June 14, 1925
Each house has:
Breakfast room or nook
Dining room with built-in buffet
laundry room
Hardwood floors throughout
Automatic water heaters
Separate garage
Priced at $5950.00 in 1925.
Oakland Tribune June 14, 1925Lynn Homes Nicol Ave today – GoogleMapsNicole Avenue today – Google maps2639 Nicol Avenue – today Google Maps
Lynn Homes on Best Avenue
Oakland Tribune Nov 15, 1925
Another group of homes went on sale on November 15, 1925. Located on Best Avenue between Brookdale and Trask. The houses have an attractive and varied style of architecture.
Each of the homes has six-rooms, a garage, and a laundry room.
The Grateful Dead once partied at 6024 Ascot Drive in the Piedmont Pines section of Oakland.
6024 Ascot Drive
Oakland Tribune May9, 1948
In 1948 house at 6024 Ascot Drive was advertised as an ‘ A Little Bit of Mexico” in beautiful Piedmont Hills ( Piedmont Pines), nestled in a glorious 2 1/4 acres: balconies overlooking a beautiful swimming pool. All the tiles in the bathrooms came from the Muresque Tile Co. of Oakland, one of the premier West Coast tilemakers in the 1920s and ’30s. Property highlights include a log cabin family room.
In 1968 Michael Leibert, his wife Alexa, and their 5 dogs lived at 6024 Ascot. Leibert was the founder of the Berkeley Repertory Theater.
The house had a routine existence until sometime during the late sixties, the house was rented by Owsley “Bear” Stanley (1935-2011) was an American audio engineer and chemist.
Stanley was the first known private individual to manufacture mass quantities of LSD. By his own account, between 1965 and 1967, Stanley produced no less than 500 grams of LSD, amounting to a little more than five million doses.
Bear: The Life and Times of Augustus Owsley Stanley III
By Robert Greenfield Google Books Bear: The Life and Times of Augustus Owsley Stanley III
By Robert GreenfieldOakland Tribune Jul 16, 1970
In 1972 the house was advertised an authentic Spanish “Villa.” Back on the market.
Oakland Tribune May 21, 1972
SF Examiner 1998
The house was sold in 2012 for 1.2 million dollars. A September 2012 article, “Rest Your Head Where the Grateful Dead Once Partied,” was posted on the Curbed San Francisco website.
The Toler Heights subdivision changed hands so many times before the 1930, it seems they never really got around to selling the area with photos of new homes being built. The following is all I could find.
Lawlor Street
9703 Lawlor Street
Oakland Tribune Oakland Tribune Oct 27,1913 Address now is 9703 Lawlor St
The fire started in the Redwood Road area and raced through to Sequoia Park (Joaquin Miller Park), down Dimond Canyon, and spread into Shepard Canyon.
Oakland Tribune Nov 13, 1933
The fire, which began around 7 am on November 13, 1933, swept through the East Oakland Hills, burning a man to death, injuring two others, and destroying at least a dozen homes. It was under control by 2 pm.
The municipal zoo in Sequoia Park (now Joaquin Miller Park) was surrounded by a ring of flames as the fire approached the animal cages. The zookeepers were preparing to shoot the animals, but the fire stopped just 100 yards from the cages.
‘The Abbey’ is Spared
The flames spread through the homestead of the late Joaquin Miller and destroyed the home of Miller’s late mother, which was occupied by his widow, who was 83. Many of her treasures were lost, but she escaped. The historic Abbey was saved!
Oakland Tribune Nov 13, 1933
Shift in Wind
At 9:20 a.m., the fire approached the Sequoia Riding Club at 2923 Mountain Blvd. The stable grooms led the frightened horses through the smoke to safety, and a shift in the wind saved the stables.
Oakland Tribune Nov 13, 1933
Oakland Tribune Nov 13, 1933
Mrs. Abbie L. Miller, widow of Joaquin Miller, with her niece
Carmela Ward and a couple of the 60 horses she rescued.
Juanita Miller helping fight the fire
Oakland Tribune Nov 13, 1933
Removing the body of Wm J. La Marr, who burned to death
All that was left of one hillside home
Schoolboys who went to class to fight the flames along Mountain Blvd
“The Pines” was the beautiful home and surrounding gardens of Mr. and Mrs. Philip E. Bowles. Built in 1910, it stood at No. 2 Bowling Drivein what is now Rockridge.
In 1909, Philip E. Bowlespurchased 51 acres (58 acres in some publications) of land in “Claremont Hills,” adjoining the Horatio P Livermore Homestead. Bowles was the president of the First National Bank of Oakland and a Regent of the University of California from 1911-22.
He signed a contract to erect a residence that would cost $31,000. The Architect was L.B. Dutton. He engaged an expert landscaper who designed the estate’s grounds by following Bowles’s plans.
The home, built in the Italian Villa style, had twenty-two rooms and a full basement. It had six master bedrooms, dressing rooms, five bathrooms, three sleeping porches, a library, a drawing room, and a conservatory.
Oakland Tribune March 28, 1909
The house and grounds had a fascinating view of the bay and surrounding country.
Inside the home
Gardens
Mr. and Mrs. P.E. Bowles on a garden path at The Pines
The home was surrounded by a veritable forest filled with quail and dotted with miniature lakes stocked with large rainbow trout and a well-stocked bass pond.
There was a Japanese Tea garden with pools containing rare goldfish, golden carp, and unusual aquatic plants.
There was also a tennis court, a swimming pool, an oversized garage, and a horse stable with a trotting park.
Mr. and Mrs. P.E. Bowles on a garden path at The Pines
Mr. Bowles purchased from all over the world; he bought the best. The rhododendrons were especially lovely.
SF Chronicle July 28, 1913
Architecture & Engineer of California Magazine issue featured the home. It states the architect was L.B. Dutton. Architecture & Engineer of California Jan 1911, pg. 204 –
High Society at The Pines
Many dances and social events were held at The Pines.
Oakland Tribune June 17, 1910
In 1912, the Bowles’s daughter Amy married Hiram Johnson Jr., the son of Governor Hiram W. Johnson. The wedding was held at The Pines.
Oakland Tribune May 30, 1912
Death of P.E. Bowles
On January 20, 1926, Philip Bowles died at 67.
SF Examiner January 21, 1926
Possible Park
Mayor Davie urged the city of Oakland Park board to purchase land and a home for $700,000for a public playground or park. That fell through.
Oakland Tribune October 15, 1926
Claremont Pines
Oakland Tribune August 26, 1928
In May of 1927, a year after Philip Bowles died, Mrs. Bowles sold the entire estate to a group of men from southern California, and they hired the York Company, Inc. of Oakland to handle development and sales.
The York company subdivided the land and called it Claremont Pines, combining the name of the nearby district with the name of the Bowles Estate.
In 1927 or 1928, Andrew Williams of the Andrew Williams Store, a local grocery chain, purchased the home at No. 2 Bowling Drive.
Oakland Tribune February 26, 1928
After spending two years remodeling and adding new furniture, including expensive Persian rugs, Williams put the home up for sale in 1932
As for No. 2 Bowling Drive 1931
Oakland Tribune September 05, 1932
The Wrecking Ball
In 1938, the main house was destroyed by the wrecking and sold off piece by piece—a sad ending for a home that was just 28 years old.
Oakland Tribune Feb 1938
Bowles Hall – UC Berkeley
In 1928, in memory of her husband, Mrs. Bowles donated $250,000 to the University of California to build a dormitory for men, wholly and appropriately furnished, on or near the University campus in Berkeley. It is known as Bowles Hall.
A caretaker house was located at the front gates of the estate. It stood at the portal through the high metal-spiked fence around the estate. The five-room bungalow, which formally served as the guardian of the estate, was used as the tract office from 1928- 1948.
It was at this little cottage where the streetcar once stopped.
In 1948, the cottage was sold to Charles Ray Jr. of 1028 85th Avenue, and he placed it on the lot next to his.
Oriental (now we would say Asian) theme in a small home. The five-room home is located at 10 Overlake Courtabove the Montclair Pool(Swim and Racquet Club).
It was designed with both far Eastern ideas and California architecture. Oil finished wood in a natural color, accented with Chinese red in finish and outside trim, grasscloth wallpaper, and bamboo moldings were some of the Eastern ideas.
Oakland Tribune Feb 1940
The living room opens onto a private garden with beautiful oak trees. The house is somewhat like a modern ‘farmhouse’ with an exterior of oiled, heart redwood, and an off-white limestone finished roof with wide overhanging eaves.
With many red brick window boxes and large glass areas of windows that are divided into horizontal panes, creating a streamlined effect that is unusual in residential construction. A large circular grille in the garage door was also new and different.
Oakland Tribune Feb 1940
Montclair’s Most Talked-of Home
I don’t know who designed the home, but it was built by Robert Darmsted of Pinehaven Road. The Darmsted’s moved to Montclair in about 1920.
From 1924
Another local Montclarion F.A. Christopherson, who lived on Abbott Drive in theMerriewood area, did the brickwork.
From 1944
Oakland Tribune Feb 1940
Modern with “oriental touch.” Delightful patio. Price at $6450.00 in 1940.