Slim Jenkins saw the economic opportunity in the business district and opened a liquor store on December 5, 1933, the same day as the repeal of Prohibition. Soon the business expanded a cafe.
The world’s largest and fully mechanized mail handling facility designed to serve central California and the Pacific ocean area
Postmaster General – Aug 1959
It was announced that the facility would be built on a 12-block site in West Oakland bounded by Peralta, 7th, Wood Streets, and the Southern Pacific railroad yards.
Oakland Tribune August 26, 1959
The postmaster general officially named the Oakland project “Project Gateway”
Oakland Tribune August 26, 1959
Major Problems
City officials were excited that construction would begin in about one year. They expected an Oakland payroll of 750 workers and the clearing of some 20 acres of sub-standard homes for a significant redevelopment project.
Oakland Tribune August 30, 1959
Oakland Mayor Clifford E. Rishellnoted that the post office project presents some significant problems, chiefly relocating 300 families (about 1000 people) in the project area.
Oakland Tribune July 25, 1965
The Oakland Redevelopment Agency was in charge of the relocation. A survey at the time determined that half of the 300 families had moderate incomes, permitting them to rent or purchase a home in other sections of the city. The other half will probably require public housing.
The job we face isn’t easy, but it isn’t impossible
Arthur Hoff – Oakland Redevelopment Agency
One of West Oakland’s most revered landmarks was lost when the New Century Recreation Center and the adjoining school property at Atlantic, Pacific, and Peralta Avenues were razed.
The project would also destroy a junkyard, a few businesses, and McFeely School, which opened in 1949.
Evictions
In a March 1960 special meeting of city and postal officials, 34 families were told they had already received eviction notices. The families lived in homes already sold to the government by Southern Pacific. Twenty-one families had already found new homes.
August 01, 1960, was when they were to begin clearing the site.
Oakland Tribune July 19, 1960
A squadron of bulldozers was set to plow into the 12-block block of buildings. Twelve parcels of the 187 total had been acquired in negotiation. Commendation orders were entered for the holdouts.
12 Blocks Cleared For the Postal Center
Oakland Tribune Nov 30, 1960Oakland Tribune Nov 30, 1960t
Sherman Tank
The postal officials were perplexed when building wrecker Aldo S. Allen submitted a low bid of $64,000 to clear the 20-acre site for Project Gateway. He was $10,000 lower than the next lowest bid and $50,000 lower than the highest bid.
“I got an idea” Allen a one time midget car racer explained.
Aldo S. Allen – 81st Ave Oakland CA
He planned to spend $2,000 on a surplus Sherman Tank of World War II vintage, a 73,000-pound dreadnaught powered by a 500 horsepower engine. The tank would be much more powerful, faster, and safer.
He was Right!
Aldo climbed into the tank in front of a row of six houses. He first practiced on a tree.
SNAP! Down went the tree.
Oakland Tribune August 16, 1960
Without pausing, he went towards the first house and bore a tunnel through it. The second story remained intact. Again, he aimed for the home. There was a roar, and the second story came down, burying the tank momentarily.
10 Minutes Flat! The time to clear the first house
Oakland Tribune August 16, 1960
It took 90 minutes to flatten and remove all six houses
Oakland Tribune August 16, 1960Oakland Tribune August 16, 1960Oakland Tribune August 16, 1960
Oakland Tribune August 16, 1960
Before and After
Oakland Tribune August 17, 1960
The Daily News Texan August 16, 1960
The post office Site is Now A Dump
Oakland Tribune July 15, 1963
1963, after five years of post office promises, the city demanded action. The site had become a 12-block dumping ground, and the city was losing $22,000 in tax dollars and $50,000 in additional school taxes. They were told that construction was set to begin in 1964. By July 1967, the building was nearly one-third complete. The belated Effects of a Long Wet Winter moved the opening date to March 1969.