Beulah Home – Oakland California

The Home

In 1892, a group of prominent African American women from Oakland, California, formed the Old People’s Home Association (OPHA). Its purpose was to establish and sustain a home for the aged and infirm colored people.

Screenshot

The Home for Aged and Infirm Colored People was the first to be built in California. It was sometimes called Beulah Home because of its location in Beulah Heights (Beulah initially.)

Beulah Heights (originally just Beulah) was a district in Alameda County just northwest of Mills College. In 1909, it was annexed to the City of Oakland.

The association was directed by a Board of Directors consisting of thirty women and an advisory board of ten men, and the home was managed by a matron, nursing assistants, and a resident physician.

The association sponsored festivals, dances, and concerts to raise money for building costs.

SF Chron Aug 26, 1895

The beautiful site on the northern border of Mills College for the home was donated by a Christian Missionary, George S. Montgomery, and his wife, Carrie Judd Montgomery of Beulah. The Montgomerys ran the Salvation Home of Peace.

Below is a page from the 1925 Vol 5 Sanborn Fire Map. The left circle shows what is now MacArthur Blvd. The right circle shows the home, which is now within the college campus.

After the OPHA secured the land, they hired local architect D.F. Oliver to draw up the plans for the home. The plans called for a neat two-story building with a mansard roof and underground basement for $2.773, and I. and H. Bingham were the builders.

Oakland Tribune Aug 18, 1897

The deed contained a few binding clauses:

“…the land was to be used only for the home, and should it ceased to exsit the property would revert back to Montgomery.”

“…no intoxicating shall ever be sold.”

The home was ready in two months and began receiving inmates (residents) in October 1897.

Oakland Enquirer July 1905

The two-story Victorian originally had sixteen rooms. In 1905, after an eight-room edition, which gave them room for nineteen residents. Electricity was added in 1919. In 1927, an annex of four bedrooms and two sleeping porches was added.

This is from their letterhead circa the 1930s.

Donation Day

The association always needed money to keep the home open. They would sponsor dances, dinners, and donation days.

San Francisco Call and Post Nov 1914

Once a year, the directors of the home made a plea to the people of Oakland to contribute a small portion to the comfort of the “elderly colored people” who lived there.

Oakland Tribune Nov 1919

The Residents

Alcohol use was prohibited, and males and females were segregated in the living quarters. The women were required to sew, knit, and assist in domestic labor as they could. The men were required to cultivate the grounds and keep them in good order. The men also cared for the livestock. You had to be sixty-five or older to become a resident.

Initially, residents were charged a lifetime membership fee of $500.00. In 1919, the price was lowered to $350.00. In 1934, the price was $600.00.

In 1937, they proposed (not sure if they did) charging incoming residents:

  • $ 1000.00-lifetime fee for 65 to 69 years old
  • $ 800.00-lifetime fee for 70 years or older
  • $ 1400.00-lifetime fee for out-of-state residents

The first resident was Alvin A. Coffey, a Kentucky-born, formerly enslaved person. He came to California during the Gold Rush.

1849 Alvin A. Coffey came to California with his master’s brother. Coffey was permitted to start a business for himself, but he was not allowed to keep his money. Between 1849 and 1857, he made three trips to California. On the third trip, he saved enough money to purchase freedom for himself, his wife, and his children. Coffey and his family settled in Shasta County in 1857.

1887, Coffey was the first African American to be inducted into the Society of California Pioneers.

Slaves Tale Told in the Court

An Oakland Tribune article from 1901 reported an unsuccessful attempt was made to have Alvin Coffey sent to an insane asylum.

Coffey stated the problem started when he sold a horse to the home’s matron and her daughter for $35.00. He said she refused to pay, so he went to the association, and they ordered her to pay.

Since then, she has been very bitter towards me.” Coffey 1901

The matron swore to the complaint, charging Coffey with insanity. She alleged he attempted to put chickens to roost during the day and that he had

a strange gleam in his eye.” Harriet Davis 1901

The complaint was discharged by the Lunacy Commissioner, who found Coffey to be of sound mind.

Solano-Napa News Chronicle March 6, 1952

Mrs. Mary Ann Lane, a Negro Pioneer and ex-slave, died in the home in 1932 at the age of 102. She had lived there for twenty-five years.

1908 Oakland City Directory
Mrs. Sarah McDonald died in 1924

Closing the Home

In 1937, the Department of Social Services informed them that their license to run the home was put on hold due to concerns they had about its financial condition.

At the same time, the Oakland Fire Marshall strongly recommended that the residents be moved to a safe, fire-proof building—the cost of bringing the old wooden building up to fire prevention requirements. The Community Chest of Oakland withdrew its monthly support.

Undated Budget Report most likey the late 1930s.

“the present building constitutes a serious and dangerous fire hazard.” Oakland Fire Marshall, 1937

The home remained in business until 1938. , Mills College purchased the property in 1938 and the home was demolished in 1939.

Oakland Tribune Feb 5, 1939

Past Presidents

Pamphlet 1924
 Past presidents and officers of the Home for Aged and Infirm Colored People of Californiacirca 1924

From Facebook

According to a Facebook post, this is the home. I’m not sure.

More Info:

The End

Royal E. Towns – Engine Company No. 22

 Royal Edward Towns (February 10, 1899–July 23, 1990) was one of the first Black firefighters in Oakland. He was born in Oakland.

Royal E. Towns

He joined the OFD in 1927 and was assigned to Engine Company No. 22, a segregated firehouse in West Oakland. The station is located at 3320 Magnolia Street. He helped train many other black applicants to pass the test and was a scoutmaster for a Boy Scout troop that included Sam Golden, who became the first African American fire chief in Oakland.

The exterior of Engine No 22 firehouse

Royal Towns was the 11th black Oakland fireman hired in 1927. They didn’t employ the 12th for another 15 years.

Royal E. Towns and his colleagues with Engine Company No. 22 of the racially segregated Oakland Fire Department. (1943)

In 1971, there were only 35 black firefighters.

Towns became the first to be promoted in the OFD. He became a chief operator in 1941 and retired as a lieutenant in 1962.

Royal Towns on the left with Oakland firefighters standing in front of fire engine no. 22 – Circa 1943

Royal Towns was instrumental in helping desegregate the fire department. He helped train many other black applicants to pass the fire department test.

Personal Life

Royal Towns was born in Oakland on February 10, 1899, to William and Elizabeth Towns.

Towns married Lucille Dennis on May 26, 1920. They had three children and lived in various locations within Oakland.

Royal E. Towns died July 23, 1990, and is buried in Mountain View Cemetery.

More Photos

The photos are courtesy of the Royal E. Towns papers, MS 26, African American Museum and Library at Oakland, Oakland Public Library. Oakland, California. Photos at Calisphere

3320 Magnolia Street Oakland – Then and Now
It is no longer a Fire Station
Rolling Hoses in front of Engine No. 22
Two firefighters attaching hoses to a fire hydrant, firefighters practicing with fire hoses in the park in the background – on Peralta Street
Today Google Maps
Firefighters holding a fire hose in the street next to
Gleason and Company building
and today
Firefighters are holding a fire hose in the street next to Gleason and Company building.
Circa 1950s – 34th and Magnolia
Firefighters are holding a fire hose in the street next to Gleason and Company building.
Circa 1950s – 34th and Magnolia
and today
Looking down Magnolia towards 34th St

More on Royal E. Towns

The End